the spooky scary book tag


Hello bookaholics! I apologize for disappearing into the night sky like a witch again, but I finally have the time to sit down and write a blog post (hahaa i'm kidding i'm procrastinating in my english essay rn help 😁) . Since Halloween is right around the corner, I thought it would be appropriate to do a Halloween themed book tag. I don't do book tags anymore so please enjoy this rare appearance of one!



Note: I found this tag on Destiny's blog but the original creator of this tag is Shelby Masako.

What goes bump in the night? Name a book that has legitimately scared you while reading it.


I don't think The Dark Duet was supposed to be terrifying but it suRE WAS FOR ME. There was many scenes with lots of gore and disturbing monsters so I had a harder time reading it (in case u didn't know, i hate gore and anything scary so yay!). I specifically remember not reading this book at night because it scared me that much. Thanks V! 😘 (i'm joking i love u victoria schwab). I still recommend this duology because it's so so so badass but please read trigger warnings before diving in!

Jack O’ Lanterns and Classic Costumes: A book you always reach for during Halloween time.


Now, Through the Woods is a graphic nov- wait don't leave!!! I know some people don't like reading graphic novels (which is a-ok!) but make an exception for this one. This graphic novel contains five creepy stories and the illustrations are so haunting ugh i love art. I reread this graphic novel every October more for the nostalgic factor because it's the first "Halloween" graphic novel I found and enjoyed!

Black Cats and Magic Mirrors: A book you love that is laced with superstition and/or magic.


RELEASE FITS THIS PROMPT PERFECTLY. The book tells two different stories within each other. One story is about a lost, magical queen in the woods and the other story is about a gay teen living with his Catholic family. Both stories are so good and twist into each other really well. hOweVeR I have a very biased opinion on this book because I heard Patrick Ness talk about it on his book tour. Honestly? Fight me fellas!

Witch’s Brew: Favorite witch character in any book/series.


Ugh, this question just screams a Harry Potter answer so let's dodge that. I don't read many books with witches in them so I guess I don't have a favorite witch character. I know, how am I even a book blogger?! Anyways, the only witch-related book I want to read is Labyrinth Lost (i mean, until i find some more hehe). Also, I think this book *does* have gay witches so 🌈hell🌈yes🌈

Ghouls and Ghosts: A book that still haunts you to this day (good or bad).


It's tea time ladies, gentlemen, and non binary pals. ☕ When I first read A Court of Thorns and Roses, I was obsessed. I downloaded ACOTAR fanart, read ACOTAR fanfiction, and was an active member in the fandom. Oh boy, do I regret that now. Those tumblr days still haunt me but I try not to beat myself up about it because I was a lot younger and uneducated. I know a few people who really enjoy Sarah J. Maas' (which is ok but please be aware of the problematic aspects) books and have recommeded me her books but, if I'm being 100% honest, I really have no interest in supporting her and her books. The tea has been spilt.

Haunted Graveyard: You’re all alone in a haunted graveyard, you get ONE book give you comfort, which is it?


My answer for this question is extremely flexible because I Love All The Books And They All Give Me Comfort but, right now I choose Carry On. I'm not sure why but I'm craving a reread for this book... probably because I miss snowbaz (that's the ship name for simon snow and baz grimm-pitch) so much and I won't see (i think "read them" isn't good grammar so excuse that. also @ me simon and baz aren't real) them until 2020. I need more snowbaz fanart and fanfiction ASAP. Edit (10/26): FOUND SOME FANART.

The Undead: Favorite supernatural creatures to read about (i.e. vampires, zombies, werewolves, etc).


OKAY SO NO. This picture isn't from a YA book, so don't click on Goodreads and search "80s lookin goth dudes leaning on a blue car book". It's actually the main cast from a comedy/horror vampire movie I recently watched and it feels appropriate to include this picture because a) it's hilarious b) i won't shut up about movies and c) WE NEED MORE VAMPIRES BOOKS. I'm not talking about books like Twilight no, no- I mean casual vampire books. Vampires who run hotels, vampires who have children, or maybe gay vampires. Gosh, maybe this is my Nanowrimo calling. 

In the dead of night: Pick a book with a black cover.


I know, these covers aren't pitch black like my soul but they are so so so beautiful and so so so underrated. I read The Wicker King back in 2016 (i think... i honestly have no sense of time so!) and I loved it with my entire heart. It's an amazing book about queer boys and hallucinations, but The Weight of the Stars is about space and lesbians. Can everyone thank K. Ancrum really quick?! Anyways, I just read an ARC of The Weight of the Stars (I KNOW I GOT AN ARC !!!!!!! AUTHORS ARE SO NICE !!!!!!!) and I have so many Emotions it's crazy. I'll have my review posted in November so stay tuned in!


Hallelujah! It's Friday and almost Halloween. What are your favorite horror/thriller books? Does anyone know any good witch-themed books? Also, I'll try to be more active on annaish but no pinky promises because school is draining all my energy. Oh and since I stole this tag, I don't think I have the right to tag other bloggers but go ahead and steal it from me (i'm sorry it's almost 11pm and nothing makes sense). Have a great morning/afternoon/evening bookaholics!

Share:

6 comments :

  1. whaT DO YOU MEAN SIMON AND BAZ AREN'T REAL???? I'm rioting this post.

    jk jk i luv u.

    BUT ANYWAY. THIS TAG WAS SO GREAT AND I LOVED HOW YOU PICKED CARRY ON TO BE THE ONE TO COMFORT YOU. :') (I would have picked it too hehehe) Now I'm even more excited to hear about your NaNo novel... Is there any possible way to read something before it's written?? Nope? Okay, guess I'll have to wait. XD

    I love all your posts, Anna! I get so excited when I see them on my feed because I know they will be bursting with sunshine and rainbows-- just what I need on these yucky cold days. <3

    xx Kenzie | www.paperpizzablog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME... AND THIS IS MY POST.

      love u tooooooooo

      THANK YOU!! I mean, how could I not pick Carry On?! I wish haha. Fingers crossed that I actually finish this WIP.

      Wow I'm crying !! Your support means the world to me Kenzie. 💕💕💕💕💕💕

      Delete
  2. The name of this tag though = awesome. Loved reading this! :)

    Nabila | Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaas I love Through the Woods! The red and black color scheme as well as the illustrations work really well to creep me!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Carry On so much! It's such a great book even for someone who hardly ever reads fantasy novels (Simon and Baz are so cute together)
    Emmy - https://emmysbraindump.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, ACOTAR and SJM is so problematic...I have so many issues with her, especially when is comes to diversity and to the "romances." Sorry I'm so late to this post! Also, you're tempting me to reread Carry On just for the Snowbaz moments. I ship them so hard.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © annaish. Designed by OddThemes