Trans Rights = Human Rights

Eleven Black Trans Women Have Been Murdered This Year. It's Time ...

I've reached my limit of transphobia today! Between J.K Rowling's TERF comments and the Trump administration taking away transgender health care protections, I'm ready to square up against any transphobic crap. The amount of nasty comments and hate crimes committed against transgender individuals is unbearable to see. It hurts, as someone who is close to many happy and healthy transgender individuals - all they want is to live their best life like anyone else. I took time out of my day to research, sign, and donate to transgender funds. And, like always, I'm sharing some great book recs (young adult/adult) featuring transgender protagonists (some written by transgender authors). Take a read:

13221769

Beautiful Music for Ugly Children by Kirstin Cronn-Mills


"This is Beautiful Music for Ugly Children, on community radio 90.3, KZUK. I'm Gabe. Welcome to my show."  My birth name is Elizabeth, but I'm a guy. Gabe. My parents think I've gone crazy and the rest of the world is happy to agree with them, but I know I'm right. I've been a boy my whole life.  When you think about it, I'm like a record. Elizabeth is my A side, the song everybody knows, and Gabe is my B side--not heard as often, but just as good.  It's time to let my B side play." - Goodreads

45359713

Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender

"From Stonewall and Lambda Award–winning author Kacen Callender comes a revelatory YA novel about a transgender teen grappling with identity and self-discovery while falling in love for the first time.  

Felix Love has never been in love—and, yes, he’s painfully aware of the irony. He desperately wants to know what it’s like and why it seems so easy for everyone but him to find someone. What’s worse is that, even though he is proud of his identity, Felix also secretly fears that he’s one marginalization too many—Black, queer, and transgender—to ever get his own happily-ever-after.

When an anonymous student begins sending him transphobic messages—after publicly posting Felix’s deadname alongside images of him before he transitioned—Felix comes up with a plan for revenge. What he didn’t count on: his catfish scenario landing him in a quasi–love triangle....  

But as he navigates his complicated feelings, Felix begins a journey of questioning and self-discovery that helps redefine his most important relationship: how he feels about himself.  

Felix Ever After is an honest and layered story about identity, falling in love, and recognizing the love you deserve." - Goodreads

51633827

The Subtweet by Vivek Shraya


"Everyone talks about falling in love, but falling in friendship can be just as captivating. When Neela Devaki’s song is covered by internet-famous artist Rukmini, the two musicians meet and a transformative friendship begins. But as Rukmini’s star rises and Neela’s stagnates, jealousy and self-doubt creep in. With a single tweet, their friendship implodes, one career is destroyed, and the two women find themselves at the center of an internet firestorm.

Celebrated multidisciplinary artist Vivek Shraya’s second novel is a stirring examination of making art in the modern era, a love letter to brown women, an authentic glimpse into the music industry, and a nuanced exploration of the promise and peril of being seen." - Goodreads


34325090. sy475

I Was Born for This by Alice Oseman


"For Angel Rahimi, life is only about one thing: The Ark – a pop-rock trio of teenage boys who are currently taking the world by storm. Being part of The Ark’s fandom has given her everything – her friendships, her dreams, her place in the world.

Jimmy Kaga-Ricci owes everything to The Ark too. He’s their frontman – and playing in a band is all he’s ever dreamed of doing. It’s just a shame that recently everything in his life seems to have turned into a bit of a nightmare.

Because that’s the problem with dreaming – eventually, inevitably, real life arrives with a wake-up call. And when Angel and Jimmy are unexpectedly thrust together, they will discover just how strange and surprising facing up to reality can be." - Goodreads



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Programs/organizations to check out and donate:








❤️🏳️‍🌈

Today (6/12) is the 4th anniversary of the Pulse Nightclub Mass Shooting.
49 people were killed in the LGBTQ nightclub. May they all rest in peace.

Share:

5 comments :

  1. I really want to read Felix Ever After! I’ve had so many people recommend it to me. Thanks for sharing these resources, Anna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad Felix Ever After is getting the attention it deserves, and also the gorgeous cover! Let me know if you need anything else. ✊🏾

      Delete
  2. i'm about a month laste to this post buti 100% agree with you. as a transgender person, it hurts to see people who aren't supportive, because we're still human. thank you for sharing this. (also felix ever after? *chef's kiss* just perfect)
    -kenzie
    spaceland-official.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you support my post Kenzie! ❤️ Thanks for stopping by; your blog is so cute

      Delete

Copyright © annaish. Designed by OddThemes