review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs + movie review


“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.” 
― Ransom Riggs, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children




Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Publication Date: June 7th 2011
Publisher: Quirk Books
Pages: 352 
Series: Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children #1
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs.

A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows

Explore the story of not-so peculiar Jacob, or so he believes...

I was really hesitant about reading this book because scary, creepy stories aren't my thing. But I pushed myself to read this book because a) everyone likes it b) it sounded like a really good book and c) it was going to be a movie. So I read it and loved it! 


If you're like me and dislike anything scary, let me tell you, this book isn't scary. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a more creepy, "gives you the chills" story and all this creepy stuff starts with our peculiar children. Imagine this: a small, quiet island off the coast of Wales. Travel through the forest and past the bog and there you'll find a ... crumbled, burned building. Or our so-called peculiar orphanage. Jacob is stuck in this situation. Jacob only traveled to this island because his dead grandfather told him to. Jacob's grandfather was killed by a monster, the ones his grandfather was always raving about. No one else believes his grandfather or Jacob. Even Jacob is unsure. But one thing after another .. Jacob's grandfather monsters may exist. I totally check off this book as: fantasy, paranormal and ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! Ransom Riggs's story and his writing had me wanting more and more. I also enjoy reading his peculiar characters. A good majority of the characters had their own personal backstory and were written magically. The setting was really pretty to read. So, bye! I'm moving to Wales. (I'm kidding) I'm actually still a little surprised that I loved this book. There were some really creepy parts and those old, vintage pictures printed in the book were super eerie but really cool. 

Overall...

Totally give this book a try if you're looking for a haunting, Halloween story! Anna approved.


Now, the movie is a totally different story. Literally. The beginning of the movie followed the book really well but then halfway through the movie, everything flipped upside. I felt Tim Burton just went "Hey, the start of this book is good but the ending? *throws book in the trashcan*" Seriously. The start of movie told us about Jacob's grandfather, peculiar children, the monsters, the loop .. but again, halfway through, all that information just went in the trash. The movie starts telling us all this new information that proves the first amount of information is incorrect? It was so frustrating because the movie had such a strong start then flopped. And sadly, the storyline wasn't the only problem for me. All the characters had a snippy attitude. The kids were like teaming up against Jacob and taking teams? Miss Peregrine wasn't very welcoming, she was always in a rush. And I just didn't like Jacob at all. So disappointing! I only liked the scenery (Wales <3), the costumes and just some small scenes. :/

Overall...

Very disappointing. Don't waste your time. Why Tim Burton!? I had high hopes for you and this movie. 

Hey bookworms! Has anyone here read 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'? Was anyone here disappointed with the movie adaptation? Tim Burton movies: wonderful or weird? Let's chat about it!


 photo Anna sigh off _zpsldolpi09.png
Share:

14 comments :

  1. I really liked the book as well! I thought it would be scary, but it was actually just eerie but very unique. I have yet to the movie though, so I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I love Tim Burton :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! :D Thanks Emily .. I love(d?) Tim Burton's movies too!

      Delete
  2. The book is really good-- it took me three years to get past the cover and I ended up loving it because the eerieness is attractive (gosh that sounds SUPER MORBID). I want to see the movie as well, but it does seem disappointing...

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understandable! Those covers are quite creepy. Ehhh just remember: my review is just one out of hundreds! You might like it. I like to see the movie adaptation (to the book) exactly the same. It just depends what you're looking for in the movie.

      Delete
  3. I'm currently reading the book and so far it's really good! My friends (who loved the book) saw the movie and was deeply dissapointed that she won't even talk about it to me. On the other hand... my family who haven't read the book watched it yesterday and really liked it. Maybe after finishing the movie I would give the movie a go, but I wouldn't expect too much...

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Oh wow .. sounds like an interesting situation! Like you said, don't expect much. Your high expectations might flop for you. :/

      Delete
  4. I keep seeing so much about it, I'm really tempted to read it! I can't decide if I'd like it because I'm not a huge fan of creepy books, but I may just have to bite the bullet and give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! Conquer your fear of creepy books!

      Delete
  5. I've been debating whether or not to read this book. Thank you for the review!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I may be the minority here, but I actually didn't really love the book - 3 stars - meanwhile adored the movie. Maybe because I went into it expecting it to be totally different from the book based on the trailer & I LOVE Eva Green and Tim Burton, but it worked for me so much better than the book. Which has never happened to me before. Anyhow, I'm sad it didn't work out for you - it sucks to be disappointed by an adaptation, especially of a novel that you enjoyed.
    Great reviews! :)
    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your statement makes total sense to me! You didn't like the book and wanted to see the movie take a different direction. While .. i loved the book and wanted to see the movie exactly like it. Oh well! Thank you so much, Veronika. <3

      Delete
  7. miss peregrine is such a fun series! i haven't seen the movie yet, though.

    evelyn clickman @ if these stars shall fall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that I can say the same, Evelyn!

      Delete

Copyright © annaish. Designed by OddThemes