review: A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab


“I'm not going to die," she said. "Not till I've seen it." "Seen what?" Her smile widened. "Everything.” 
― V.E. Schwab, A Darker Shade of Magic
A summary of my review: ASDFGREADTHISBOOKHJKL

Fun fact: I was nervous to read A Darker Shade of Magic. Why? I wanted to really love this. If I didn't - I would have been really sad, angry and disappointed. I was worried because, have you seen the hype around this book? It's crazy. What if the world-building sucks? What if I can't understand anything? What if? Basically, I was dying to read A Darker Shade of Magic 
And guess what? I loved this book and here's why:


A Darker Shade of Magic is set in parallel universes and they are called the "Londons". Red London is where magic flows like air, no scratch that- it's the oxygen. But in Grey London, no one believes in magic. White London is craving for magic. Black London? No one speaks about that  London anymore. Some folks remember the other Londons but a handful of folks don't. No one can travel to the other Londons so what's the point of remembering? Kells remembers. And he has seen all the Londons. Kells is the last Traveler; a person who can travel to London to London. He is a pawn for the King and Queen of Red London. He delivers letters to each ruler of their London. But, that changes with one little rock. Okay - first off - the characters. I loved Kells. Imperfect, kind and truly gifted he was. Then, we have Lila. LILA WAS AWESOME. FYI: Kells and Lila met because she robs him. Yeah. Lila is strong, stubborn, and clever. She wants to be a pirate and have  thrilling adventures. You go girl! Throughout this story Kells and Lila build a brilliant friendship. Next, we have the writing and the plot. A Darker Shade of Magic was my first V.E Schwab and I'm dying for more of V.E Schwab. V.E Schwab wove the words of the story together, perfectly. I understood the magic, these Londons- her world. Basically, V.E Schwab's writing is outstanding. Detailed, yet easy to follow. (that also goes for the plot) *cries happily* THIS BOOK IS EVERYTHING.


Why are you still here? GO READ THIS BOOK FELLOW HUMAN.

Thanks for reading my review!
+++++
Publication Date: February 24th 2015
Pages: 398 
Series: Shades of Magic
Genre: Fantasy
Synopsis: Kell is one of the last Travelers—rare magicians who choose a parallel universe to visit. Grey London is dirty, boring, lacks magic, ruled by mad King George. Red London is where life and magic are revered, and the Maresh Dynasty presides over a flourishing empire. White London is ruled by whoever has murdered their way to the throne. People fight to control magic, and the magic fights back, draining the city to its very bones. Once there was Black London—but no one speaks of that now. Officially, Kell is the Red Traveler, personal ambassador and adopted Prince of Red London, carrying the monthly correspondences between royals of each London. Unofficially, Kell smuggles for those willing to pay for even a glimpse of a world they’ll never see. This dangerous hobby sets him up for accidental treason. Fleeing into Grey London, Kell runs afoul of Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She robs him, saves him from a dangerous enemy, then forces him to another world for her 'proper adventure'.


But perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, Kell and Lila will first need to stay alive—trickier than they hoped
 photo Anna sigh off _zpsldolpi09.png
Share:

8 comments :

  1. Yes! As soon as I saw this on your goodreads I couldn't wait for a review.

    -Edie
    Mintyperfections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you liked this! I bought from Barnes and Nobles a few days ago, and I'm really excited to read it! I'll probably start reading it after I finish The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Mass. Have you read The Assassins Blade?
    -Jollygirl @ Reflections of a Jolly Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope YOU enjoy A Darker Shade of Magic, Jollygirl! I haven't read Assassins Blade.

      Delete
  3. I JUST LOVED THIS BOOK. Oh my god--the different Londons and the whole magic system are so fantastic I could cry. I AM SO HAPPY YOU LIKED THIS. Although, how could you NOT?

    ❤ Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing! I'm going to have to read it for sure ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © annaish. Designed by OddThemes