review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart


“We are liars. We are beautiful and privileged. We are cracked and broken.” 
― E. Lockhart, We Were Liars

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart 
Publication Date: May 13th 2014 
Pages: 242 
Series: Standalone 
Genre: Contemporary 

A beautiful and distinguished family. A private island. A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy. A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive. A revolution. An accident. A secret. Lies upon lies. True love. The truth.




We Were Liars is incomparable.

We Were Liars doesn't look like much with the small synopsis and the blah cover but TRUST ME FELLOW BOOKWORMS! To this day, I've never read anything like We Were Liars. It's all about lies, a broken friendship, a damaged rich family, and secrets.



*I'm not going to tell you guys a lot about We Were Liars because I don't want to spoil anything. As I said, this book is all about secrets! ;)

Cadence is the narrator of the story. Her rich family spend their summers on their private island. Cadence and her friends (aka The Liars) enjoy their summer on this beautiful island. Sounds nice right? Uhh sorry, no. On this specific summer an accident happens and everything changes... right under Cadence's nose. Oooo! Sounds pretty good right? YES MY FRIEND IT IS. I loved the thrill of this book. In some scenes your heart will beat so fast that you can't breath; in the next scene, you laugh! E. Lockhart's writing made every scene so... real. I feel like the actual plot and the writing were better than the characters. Cadence was quiet and puzzled (can't blame her tbh) with everything and her friends were the typical YA characters. Reckless, wild, young etc etc. The characters didn't really have that... thrill like the plot. So don't expect to "fangirl" over the characters. Be ready to freak out over the plot.


Overall...

We Were Liars is not about teenagers trying to find the meaning of "life" or finding love and peace or getting drunk. It is about teenagers learning how to cope. *disappears dramatically*

So! Are you going to read We Were Liars? If you've read We Were Liars, did you cry? Do you guys like reading books about drunk teenagers? (the answer is no) Let's talk!

 photo Anna sigh off _zpsldolpi09.png
Share:

12 comments :

  1. Huh, I'll have to look into this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks for stopping by, Grace Anne.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you loved this! This book messed me up in the best way possible haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh this sounds really good! I've been seeing it around the blogosphere for a while, and it's definitely going on my TBR pile now :)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy this book, Ellie.

      Delete
  4. I completely agree with you 100%! I wasn't expecting this to make me so sad, but it did! And the twist at the end blew my mind too. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did! Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omggg yes!! I now have this urge to reread We Were Liars haha. Thank you, Zoe!

      Delete
  5. everyone has been raving about this book for so long and i still haven't read it *hangs head in shame* i hope to read it this summer though, drama, secrets, and private island just sounds really perfect for summer!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tasya! You must! I hope you enjoy it and thanks for stopping by on Annaish. <33

      Delete
  6. This still remains my favorite contemporary book. I just love how tragic and unique it is and can we talk about that writing? I agree with you about the characters, but the whole setting and plot is what made the book memorable. I am so happy you liked it! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm glad you agree with me. Thank you, Erin!

      Delete

Copyright © annaish. Designed by OddThemes